Stop waiting for a man to take me to Paris and just go there already.
- Take cello lessons again. Get beyond "Go tell Aunt Rhodie."
- Bake Christmas cookies with Mama Bossy.
- Complete a year-long Happiness Project.
- Get a piece of my writing published somewhere other than on the internet.
- Live in Europe for at least a year.
- Go to a café enough times that I can order "my usual" without explaining it.
- Direct Figaro.
Swim with dolphins.
- Drive across the country on a leisurely road trip, stopping often on a whim to see anything that looks interesting.
Vote for someone who actually becomes President. Run a race. Finish it.
- Find my best friend from childhood and reconnect.
- Have a baby.
Successfully teach someone to drive a stick shift.
- See a sifaka outside of a zoo. This might involve a trip to Madagascar.
Take a girls only weekend away.
- Make a home that I love returning to.
- Grow a plant and keep it alive for more than a month.
Take a tree-top canopy zipline tour. Get Elite status on my frequent flier miles program. Go on an all-day hike.
- Teach an acting class for singers.
- Get Jennifer Aniston arms (but not Madonna arms).
- Fall in love. Make it stick.
- Drink something that comes in a hollowed-out coconut or pineapple.
- Finish a knitting project. Any knitting project.
Have one of my photographs hung on the wall of someone else's house. Or, you know, a gallery. I'm flexible. Go to Vegas. Stay somewhere outrageous. Learn to salsa dance, or at least to fake it.
- Live in a house with a bay window, complete with window seat. (A dream of mine since I first read Jane Eyre oh so many moons ago.)
- Teach someone to read.
- Pet a koala bear.
- Spend an entire day at a spa getting pampered, massaged, exfoliated, and facialed.
- See an opera at La Scala. Or direct one.
Design and create my own website. Learn to make Papa Bossy's famous biscotti.
- Grow my hair long enough to cut it off and donate it to Locks of Love.
- Go sailing. Preferably wearing a striped boatneck top.
- Play a piece from memory on the piano.
- Ride a horse on a beach.
Bring back cocktail hour.
- Get over my fear of drawing.
Go to Paris with CameraMan.
- Be a bridesmaid.
- Stay up all night somewhere that the sun doesn't set in summer time. (Rekjavik, anyone?)
- Take a hot air balloon ride.
- Learn to whistle. I hear anyone can do it.
- Go to Disneyworld.
- Help someone else cross something off their list.
Stop picking at my cuticles. It's a disgusting habit.
- Be mistaken for a native German. Preferably while speaking German.
- Tapas and sangria in Barcelona.
- Become a person who throws dinner parties.
- Write letters on pretty stationery.
See the whole Ring cycle.
- Tell someone who has hurt me that I forgive them. Mean it.
- See the cherry trees in bloom in Washington, DC.
- Drive a convertible with the top down.
Make a delicious mojito.
- Change a tire by myself.
- Throw a surprise party.
- Play the stock market.
Make someone cry from happiness.
- Fly International Business Class. Preferably on an airline with flatbed seats.
- See a movie at a drive-in.
Be debt free.
- Climb to the top of the Statue of Liberty.
- Go somewhere for the sole purpose of seeing the fall colors. Probably not Houston.
- Go one week without internet, phone, or TV.
Eat snails the next time I'm at a restaurant that has them on the menu. Live in Chicago.
- Become an expert at parallel parking.
- Discover a talent I didn't know I had.
- Take skiing lessons.
- Read (or re-read, as the case may be) every book on the Modern Library's 100 Best Novels list despite the fact that the vast majority are written by white men.
- Take a picture every day for a year.
- Drink hot chocolate in front of a fire while it's snowing outside.
- Give a month's salary to charity. Doesn't count if it's during a month when I'm unemployed, obvs.
- Christmas in Vienna
- Grow an herb garden.
- Become a decent tennis player.
Sell my car and live without one. Spend at least 250 days with CM in a calendar year. Learn to like coffee.
- Take the Mensa test, just to see.
Spend a night in a castle. Get in the habit of reading non-fiction.
- Ride in a gondola in Venice. If the gondolier feels like singing "O sole mio," I won't object.
- Sing in a piano bar.
- Go to Oktoberfest in Munich.
- Watch a sunrise on the beach.
- Go sledding.
- Attend Austin City Limits or South by Southwest.
Take a horse-drawn carriage ride through Central Park.
- Tasting menu with wine pairings somewhere schmancy
- Donate blood despite my freakishly small and hard-to-find veins.
Fly across the country (or the world) to surprise someone.
- Write about every goal I cross off this list.
- Roast a chicken.
- Become a strong swimmer.
See all posts about the Bossy List